Saturday 22 August 2009

Buemi frustrated with Q2 pace slump

Sebastian Buemi was disappointed to qualify only 15th for the European Grand Prix as he believes there was more potential in his Toro Rosso, after the car got slower following his progression into Q2.

After setting a strong sixth-quickest time to emphatically seal a place in the second qualifying stage, Buemi then unusually lapped 0.6s off his Q1 effort meaning he made no progress from the 15th spot he was already guaranteed.

Had the Swiss rookie simply matched his Q1 lap he would had qualified two places higher, furthermore he believes the top-10 was even possible had the team got more out of its tyres and made the usual improvement in time in the second session.

Nevertheless, given STR had struggled to progress into Q2 before he did so in Hungary, the Swiss youngster is pleased the team is on the up again.

“Even though I got into Q2, I’m a bit disappointed, because in Q1 I was sixth with a good lap time and then in Q2, we did not manage the tyre situation well, especially on my “out” lap and I ended up doing worse than in Q1.



“Now we must look at what happened, because I think I might even have had the possibility to get into Q3.

“We are making progress.”

New team-mate Jaime Alguersuari again failed to clear the back row in his second Formula 1 qualifying session after lapping a full second slower than Buemi in Q1, although he was sparred the slowest qualifying time by the helpless Luca Badoer.

Spain’s new hope, however, took comfort from the fact he was close to the pace of Jarno Trulli’s Toyota immediately ahead of him on the grid and now, while expecting the sweltering conditions to prove a test, is eyeing another solid race finish on Sunday.

“I know what I am capable of and with this being only my second F1 qualifying session, I have to be patient," he said.

“I am happy that even though this track is longer than at my first race in Hungary, the gap to the drivers ahead of me is getting smaller.

“I am feeling more confident in the car every time I drive it.

“It’s going to be tough tomorrow as it seems to be getting hotter and hotter.

“I think I can do a good job in the race, bring the car home and hopefully end up at least in the top 15.”

No comments:

Post a Comment